The Gesù Nuovo Church is a typical Renaissance church in the Piazza del Gesù Nuovo in Naples. It was built between 1584 and 1601 by the Jesuits, who however had to destroy the historic Palazzo dei Sanseverino to do so. Highlights include murals by Francesco Solimena, Paolo De Matteis e Belisario Corenzio, among others.
Gesù Nuovo Church Naples
Address, opening hours and entrance fee
The address of the church is Piazza del Gesù Nuovo (tel. +39 0815518613). Bus: 201, 460, N3, N8, R1, R4. Metro: Dante (line 1). The Chiesa del Gesù Nuovo is open from 07:00 to 13:00 and 16:15 to 20:00. Telephone: +39 0815578151 or 0815578111. Entrance fee: Free.
History and Description
Although the church itself was not built until the 16th century, the pointed façade dates back to the 15th century, as it used to be the façade of the Palazzo Sanseverino. The Sanseverino family had fallen into disfavor and had had to flee the city.
The original building had been designed by Giuseppe Valeriani. Almost a century after the departure of the original owners, it was to be converted into a church.
In 1767 the church, which has been restored and renovated many times over the centuries, came into the hands of the Franciscans.
The floor plan is a Greek cross and consists of three naves. The interior walls of the church are lined with various types and grades of marble.
The domed vault is painted with frescoes by such masters as Francesco Solimena, Luca Giordano and Cosimo Fanzago. The highlight is Solimena’s “Expulsion of Heliodorus from the Temple of Jerusalem.”
The main altar is counted among the masterpieces of the Baroque.
The apse was designed by Cosimo Fanzago and later reworked by Gian Lorenzo Bernini. The statue of the Virgin Mary in this apse was made by Domenico Antonio Vaccaro.
The Giuseppe Moscati Chapel is dedicated to a doctor who was engaged in helping poor people. Ex-votos hang on the walls and the doctor’s study has been recreated there.