The Giardini della Guastalla are one of the most beautiful and oldest public gardens in Milan. Decorated with countless statues and other sculptures, the garden dates back to the 16th century. The pond on the west side was added in the 17th century.
Giardini della Guastalla Milan
Address, opening hours and admission
The address of the garden is Via Francesco Sforza, 25 – 20122 Milano. Other entrances are located on Via San Barnaba and Via Guastalla. Streetcars: 12, 16, 23, 24, 27. Metro: Crocetta (M3). Admission: Free. The garden opens at 07:00 and closes between 19:00 and 22:00 depending on the season.
History and description
The Guastalla Gardens were founded in 1555 by order of Paola Ludovica Torelli, Countess of Guastalla. Her husband had passed away when she was still very young and she used her money to build the Guastalla College for daughters of impoverished aristocratic families.
The architect of the college was Pellegrino Tibaldi. The garden was used only by residents of the college. In 1937 the college moved to Monza and now only the garden remains. In 1939 it became a public garden.
The Giardino della Guastalla is quite small (1.2 hectares). On the west side there is a Baroque style pond and the garden is dotted with monuments and statues. This pond was added the 17th century, when the rest of the garden was also more or less given its current appearance.
The neo-classical temple in the garden was designed by Luigi Cagnola, who was also responsible for the Arco della Pace in the Piazza Sempione.
A second 17th century structure in the garden is graced with terra-cotta statues representing “Mary Magdalene and the angels.”