The San Giovanni Battista degli Almadiani Church is an early 16th century in the Piazza dei Caduti in Viterbo. The church has two facades, on opposite sides of the building, and is graced by a tall campanile.
San Giovanni Battista degli Almadiani Church Viterbo
Address, opening times and ticket price
The address of the Chiesa di San Giovanni Battista degli Almadiani is Piazza dei Caduti, 1 – 01100 – Viterbo.
History and description
The San Giovanni Battista degli Almadiani Church was commissioned by the papal notary Giovanni Battista Almadiani in 1510. Almadiani wanted to found a church and convent dedicated to the Carmelites in his town.
The architect was Bernardino da Viterbo. He created a structure with three naves separated by peperino (a local type of stone) columns. The side walls have pillars with Ionic volutes.
The entrance on Via Cesare Dobici used to be graced by a “Madonna with Child and Angels” made by Andrea della Robbia, now on display in the Museo Civico. The marble statue depicting John the Baptist is still above this entrance.
In two niches on either side of this entrance, two more statues can be seen, depicting the Saints Peter and Paul.