Historical buildings Orvieto

Some of Orvieto‘s most important historic buildings stand together in a group and have been converted into seats of the city’s various museums. There are also some beautiful palaces in the rest of the historic center.

Historical buildings Orvieto

Palazzo Comunale

Palazzo Comunale Orvieto
Piazza della Repubblica with the Palazzo Comunale on the right.

The Palazzo Comunale was built between 1216 and 1219, but had to be completely rebuilt after a fire. This took longer, from 1255 to 1276. By the end of the 15th century it was so neglected that it was decided to hold council meetings in the Palazzo Vescovile. In 1573 it was rebuilt by Ippolito Scalza to a design by Antonio Sangallo the Younger and regained its former status.

Palazzo Papale

The Palazzo Papale actually consists of three “papal palaces,” commissioned by three different popes. Constructed in three periods in the 13th century, the buildings function today as seats of the Museo dell’Opera del Duomo and the National Archaeological Museum.

Palazzo del Popolo

The Palazzo del Popolo was commissioned in the 2nd half by Ranieri della Greca, who introduced the office of Capitano del Popolo to the city. It is located in the Piazza del Capitano del Popolo and has had several functions during its existence. During restoration works, remains of an Etruscan Temple were found under the building.

Palazzo dell’Opera del Duomo

The Palazzo dell’Opera del Duomo was built between 1623 and 1629 on the site it had held for nearly three centuries. Later, adjoining buildings were added, and in 1857 Virginio Vespignani provided a neo-classical extension. A restoration by Paolo Zampi followed in the final years of the 19th century, which gave the palace its symmetrical appearance.

Palazzo Ottaviani

Named after its original owners, Palazzo Ottaviani is located in the Piazza della Repubblica. Today it serves as the seat of a local bank, but it used to be a hotel (Locanda delle Belle Arti). The main attraction is the coffered ceiling and the doors painted with allegories that give access to the main hall.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow by Email
WhatsApp