Because of a lack of money, it took longer than expected to build the Church of the Immaculate Conception in Turin. Designed by Guarino Guerini, the church is now used as the Chapel of the Archbishop.
Church of the Immaculate Conception Turin
Address: Via dell’Arcivescovado, 12 – Torino. Opening times: From 09.30 till 12.00 and from 16.00 till 19.00. Closed: Saturday afternoons and Sundays. Entrance fee: Free .
History and description
The foundation stone of the Chiesa dell’Immacolata was laid in 1673, although the church was only finished in 1697. The design of the church is attributed to Guarino Guerini. Duke Carlo Emanuele II had paid for part of the work, which however had to be interrupted when the Order of the Mission of San Vincenzo de Paoli ran out of money.
The floor plan is unusual. The interior consists of two circular spaces separate by a rectangular one.
What to see
The fresco “Triumph of the Holy Trinity” was painted by Giovanni Battista Crosato.
There are paintings by Alessandro Mari, Alessandro Trono and Sebastiano Taricco.
The frescoes decorating the vault were painted by Michele Antonio Milocco.