The Lazzaretto Vecchio is a small island off the coast of the larger island of Lido in Venice. It is here that the world’s first lazaret was founded. This former quarantine island is open to tourists only on Sundays.
Lazzaretto Vecchio Venice
Originally the island was inhabited by a Catholic Order. They built a church dedicated to Santa Maria di Nazareth.
The Lazzaretto Vecchio was created by the Venetian Republic in the year 1423. This was done at the behest of San Bernardino di Siena. The name derives from the patron saint of people suffering from the plague, San Lazzaro.
It has an area of no more than 2 1/2 acres.
It was here that sailors afflicted by contagious diseases were nursed before being allowed to enter Venice.
Later the island came to be used for military purposes.
Opening times and admission
Since 2013, the Lazzaretto Vecchio can be visited on Sundays from 10:00 to 13:00 and from 15:00 to 18:00. The phone number is +39 0412444011. Admission is free but a donation of 5 Euro is expected. For more information, please visit the official website of the Lazzaretto Nuovo and the Lazzaretto Vecchio.