The Loggia della Mercanzia is situated in a site called the Croce del Travaglio in Siena. It is here that three of the most important streets of Siena, namely Via Banchi di Sopra, Via Banchi di Sotto and Via di Città intersect.
Loggia della Mercanzia Siena
History and description
The Loggia della Mercanzia is also known as the Palazzo della Mercanzia, the Loggia di San Paolo or the Loggia dei Nobili. The building was designed between 1428 and 1445 by Sano di Matteo and Pietro del Minella.
The palace is considered exemplary of the 15th century buildings erected in Siena. Although some Gothic elements remain, it is characteristic of the transition from medieval to Renaissance architecture.
From 1764 the building serves as the seat of the Circolo degli Uniti.
Loggia della Mercanzia Siena, what to see
The Loggia is characterized by a series of wide arches that, together with pilasters, support the upper part of the building, built in the 18th century.
The pillars are graced by niches containing statues of saints. These are counted among the most important works of the Renaissance period in the city. The sculptors were Antonio Federighi, who created “San Savino”, “Sant’Ansano” and “San Vittore”, and Lorenzo di Pietro, nicknamed Il Vecchio (“the Old One”), who was responsible for “St. Peter” and “St. Paul”.
Inside the Loggia della Mercanzia are two marble benches, with reliefs by Urbano di Cortona (the “Cardinal Virtues,” left) and Antonio Federighi (“Famous Romans,” right). The frescoes and plaster on the vaults date from the end of the 16th century.