The Loggia della Signoria (or Loggia dei Lanzi) stands across from the entrance to the Palazzo Vecchio in Florence and was built in 1382. The Loggia contains a number of sculptures, including “Perseus”, made by Benvenuto Cellini, who triumphantly holds up the head of the just killed Medusa.
Loggia della Signoria Florence
Opening hours and entrance fee
Piazza della Signoria is a 10-minute walk from Florence Central Station. The nearest bus stop is Porta Rossa (line C2). The Loggia della Signoria can be visited for free at any time of the day.
History and description
The Loggia della Signoria is also often called Loggia dei Lanzi. This is due to the fact that the Landsknechten stayed there in 1727 on their way to Rome.
The Loggia was built between 1376 and 1383 with the intention of holding popular assemblies there. Important ceremonies of the Florentine Republic were also held here, such as the appointment of the lords.
The facade is decorated with four formellas with allegorical figures depicting the cardinal virtues. The designer of the formellas was Agnolo Gaddi.
The best-known sculpture group under the Loggia is Cellini‘s “Perseus and Medusa”.
Other statues underneath the Loggia dei Lanzi are the “Sabine Virgin Robbery”, the “Robbery of Polixena” by Pio Fedi, and “Hercules with the Centaurus Nessus” by Giambologna.
This last sculpture was made in 1599 and originally stood on the Canto dei Carnesecchi. Before it arrived at its present location in 1812, it was first placed under the Uffizi loggia and later at the Ponte Vecchio. Especially the twisted neck of the centaurus is beautifully carved.