The Lungarno Amerigo Vespucci in Florence is one stretch of the road running along the northern bank of the river Arno. Several buildings among the 19th century palaces lining the street are used as hotels. The street is named after the explorer who gave America its name.
Lungarno Amerigo Vespucci Florence
The Lungarno Amerigo Vespucci was constructed in 1583. In order to make its construction possible, several buildings directly on the bank of the river needed to be destroyed.
In 1857 it was named for Vespucci, who used to live in the area.
Apart from the 19th century hotels the most important sights are the Ponte Amerigo Vespucci, the Villa Favard, the Pescaia di Santa Rosa and the Palazzo Calcagnini. Th consulates of both Austria and Monaco have their seats in the Lungarno Amerigo Vespucci.
There is also a monument dedicated to Giuseppe Garibaldi.
The street stretches from the Ponte alla Carraia to the Ponte alla Vittoria.