MACRO Museum of Contemporary Art Rome

The MACRO Museum of Contemporary Art Rome (Museo d’Arte Contemporanea Roma, the name is an acronym in Italian) is an exhibition space located in the Via Nizza in Rome. The museum seat in the Via Nizza is one of two in the city, the other one being located in the Testaccio district. The museum is especially known for its temporary exhibitions.

Macro Museum Rome (Via Nizza)

Address, opening hours and admission

Address: Via Nizza, 138 – Rome (Quartiere Salario). Tel. +39 06671070425. Opening hours: Tuesday to Sunday from 10.30 AM till 7.30 PM; December 24, 31 from 10.30 AM till 2 PM. Closed: Mondays, December 25, January 1, May 1. 24 and 31 December 10.30-14.00. Admission: 7,50 Euro (reduction: 5,50 Euro). Rome Residents pay 1 Euro less. Free entrance for Rome residents on the 1st Sunday of the month. Roma Pass is valid. Combi-ticket Macro Via Nizza + Macro Testaccio: 10 Euros (valid for 7 days); discount: 9 Euros.

History and description

The MACRO Contemporary Art Museum consists of two seats. The one in the Via Nizza is the oldest one and is housed in what used to be a Peroni beer brewery. This industrial complex was designed by Gustavo Giovannoni, in the early years of the 20th century. The brewery was closed in 1971.

An initial reconstruction was completed in 1999. It consists of two main constructions connected by a smaller one, where the entrance is located. After an international competition completion of the project was awarded to Odile Decq. After the work was completed in 2010, the introduction of a new wing, tripled the available exposition space. A terrace was added, as were a bookstore, a restaurant/bar and even a parking space.

A big part of the permanent collection has spent the 20th century being moved from one museum to another. The first works were housed in the Palazzo Caffarelli and included a woman’s bust by Rodin, donated by the artist himself and the very first piece of the collection. In 1938 the collection was moved to the Galleria Nazionale d’Arte Moderna and in 1949 to the Palazzo Braschi. From 1963 until 1981, when it was closed for restoration, the collection resided in the Palazzo delle Esposizioni.

Until 1995 the collection was returned to the Palazzo Braschi, where it was kept in storage. After a brief interlude, when 150 works were exhibited in a former convent, the first parts of the present MACRO were opened to the public.

Via Nizza, 138 – Rome

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *