The Santuario della Madonna del Divino Amore (also known as Santa Maria del Divino Amore) is a church located 14 kilometers outside the center of Rome and is a well-known pilgrimage site for the city’s residents.
Madonna del Divino Amore Sanctuary Rome
The address of the Madonna del Divino Amore Church is Via Ardeatina, km 12 (tel. 0039 06713518). Bus: FL4, FL7, FL8. Opening hours: Weekdays from 06.30 to 20.00. Sundays and holidays: 06:00 to 20:30. Entrance fee: Free.
History and description
The history of the Chiesa di Santa Maria del Divino Amore starts in the 13th century. In the area where the church is located, there used to be a fortress built by the Orsini family, called Castel di Leva. One of the towers, was decorated with a “Madonna” fresco. This image was venerated by the local shepherds. According to a legend, a pilgrim attacked by wild dogs who asked for help from the Madonna was miraculously saved.
In 1744 Pope Benedict XIV had a church built on the, by now abandoned, former castle. The image of the Madonna was placed in this church.
The 18th century church may have been designed by Filippo Raguzzini. On the tympanum that crowning the facade is a statue of the Virgin Mary. The interior consists of a single nave.
In 1944 the people of Rome prayed to the image of the Vergine del Divino Amore to spare the city from the horrors of war and promised to build a new sanctuary.
What to see
The paintings and frescoes in the church date from the 19th century.
In 1947, the Cripta dell’Addolorata was built in the castle’s antique water storage room, which houses an artistic representation of the first miracle of the Madonna del Divino Amore and of the vow made to Mary in 1944.