The Chiesa della Madonna delle Grazie is a church in Celano. It is also known by the names San Giovanni Piedimonte and San Giovanni Capodacqua.
Madonna delle Grazie Church Celano
Address: Via Madonna delle Grazie, 36 – 67043 Celano. Phone: +39 338 3084828. Opening times: From 07:30 till 18:00. Ticket price: Free. (Note that prices and times may be subject to change.)
History and description
The Madonna delle Grazie Church was built toward the middle of the 11th century by Bishop Pandolfo to house the remains of a number of martyrs.
It is the only church in Celano spared by Frederick II in the fire of 1223.
The most striking part of the facade is the carved eagle with a halo on the tympanum, the symbol of the Apostle John.
The “Portal of Women” is located on the south-west side and is graced by two monophoras, a rose window from the 11th century and the coat of arms of the Berardi family.
The spaces below the church were used as a cemetery, as were (until 1932) two of the naves.
What to see
The baptismal font to the right of the main entrance dates from the 14th century. The coat of arms is that of the Berardi family.
The ceiling paintings date from the 14th and 15th centuries. The themes are “Madonna and Child Handing the Ring to Santa Caterina,” “St. Paul with the Sword” and “The Seraphim.”