The Madonna di Pietraquaria Church in Avezzano was built in the late Middle Ages, but has undergone many reconstructions over the centuries. The associated convent dates back to the 19th century. Every year on April 27, a procession reenacting the Stations of the Cross is held here. The church is located outside the historic center of Avezzano.
Madonna di Pietraquaria Church Avezzano
Address, opening hours and entrance fee
Address: Contrada Pietraquaria, Avezzano, SR82, 67051 Avezzano. Telephone: +39 0863 444132.
History and description
Pietraquaria is the name of a village that had formed around a castle on the west side of the present town. Probably there was already a settlement here, on Monte Salviano, in the time of the Roman Empire. This theory is supported by an excavation carried out in the 19th century near the church. A sculpture of a man’s head made of a local stone was found.
In the 13th century, when Pope Clement III held the papal office, Pietraquaria was one of the most populous settlements in the area. The Pietraquaria Church already existed at that time.
In the 2nd half of the 13th century, King Charles forced the inhabitants of the area, including those of Pietraquaria and Salviano to move to Avezzano. After this, the village fell into oblivion, a situation that did not change until almost halfway through the 19th century.
It was not until 1840 that the still existing Santa Maria Church was enlarged and a small monastery was also built. This was celebrated in 1891 with the foundation of the Confraternita di Maria Santissima di Pietraquaria.
Every year on April 27, a feast in honor of the Madonna is held here. This commemorates an event from 1779, when on that date the population collectively supplicated the heavens to end a period of prolonged drought. A Latin language document describing the event is kept in the monastery.