The Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari Church is one of the most important churches in Venice. The church is located in the middle of the San Polo district and has a length of over 100 meters. The architectural style is Venetian Gothic. Its best known work of art is Bellini’s “Frari Triptych”.
Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari Church Venice
Address, opening hours and admission
Address Basilica di Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari: Campo dei Frari – San Polo 3072 – Venice (tel. +39 041 2750462. Opening hours: Monday to Saturday from 09:00 to 18:00; Sundays and holidays from 13:00 to 18:00. Admission price: 3 Euro (discount: 1.50 Euro). Chorus Pass is valid. Public transportation: Lines 1, 2, N.
History and description
The Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari Church is one of the most important religious complexes in the city. The church was founded by the Order of the Franciscan Minorites.
Construction of the present church began in 1340 and took about a century and a half before the work was finally completed in 1492
The most striking aspect of the interior is the extraordinary chancel, with the friars’ wooden choir stalls made by Marco Cozzi in 1468. The marble gate made by Lombardo in 1475 is still in its original location.
Bellini’s “Frari Triptych”
One of the most famous masterpieces is the “Triptych of the Frari” painted between 1485 and February 15th, 1488 by Giovanni Bellini. The exact date the painting was finished is indicated on th rear. The “Madonna and Child with two musician angels” is shown in the central section. The left part depicts the Saints Nicholas and Peter, and the right part the Saints Mark and Benedict. The painting’s wooden frame was also designed by Bellini.