Montieri is a small town of just over a thousand inhabitants. It is the northernmost town in the province of Grosseto and is located on the southern spur of the mountain of the same name. Until the 1990s, the mining industry (pyrite, lead and silver) was the main source of income.
Montieri travel guide
Tourist information office: Piazza Gramsci, 4 – 58026 Montieri (Phone: +39 0566 997024).
Town hall: The address of the town hall is Piazza Gramsci, 4 – 58026 Montieri. Telephone: +39 0566 906311. Suburbs: Boccheggiano, Gerfalco and Travale.
Railway station: Montieri does not possess a train station. From the coast, first take a train to Follonica, then a bus (www.tiemmespa.it) to Montieri. There are also bus connections from Siena, Poggibonsi and Grosseto train stations (www.trainspa.it).
The main churches are San Francesco Church, San Giacomo Church and San Paolo Church. Remnants of the medieval city walls can still be seen in the suburbs of Gerfalco, Travale and Prugnoli, which belong to the municipality.
A brief history of Montieri
Montieri is surrounded by forests and was originally a Roman settlement. In the 9th century, it became a fief of the bishop of Volterra. In 1181, Siena bought a quarter of the castle and surrounding grounds. In the 14th century, the whole was incorporated by Siena. Two centuries later, the Tuscan Medici Republic took control of the city.
Early and medieval history
Montieri used to be called Mons Aeris in Roman times. Even then, the area was known for the many minerals found there.
In 896, a marquis from Tuscany, Alberto Riccio, ceded the town to the bishop of Volterra.
In 1181, the Republic of Siena bought a quarter of the castle and surrounding territory. The intention was to mine silver there, which was to be used to mint its own money. Since the bishops were in debt, they applied for mortgages on the silver mines in the 13th century.
From then on, the city began to establish its own civil organization. It sought to gain independence from the Volterra diocese and resist Siena’s expansionist tendencies. The most important families were the Ugorazi and the Bruccardi.
In 1326 the city was nevertheless annexed to Siena, after having first been stormed and destroyed by Massa’s troops.
From the Medici to modern times
In 1555, the State of the Medici took over all Siena’s possessions.
In 1608, Montieri is declared a marquisate. The first marquis is Biagio Capizucchi and he is succeeded by members of the Salviati family. A period of prosperity followed. The marquises had old churches restored and new public palaces built.
In 1749, the marquisate is abolished. Montieri becomes part of a new province called “Northern Siena”.
In 1833 Travale and Gerfalco were annexed to the municipality of Montieri.
How to get to Montieri by car
From Grosseto, take the E80 northbound. At Follonica, follow the SR439 in the direction of Massa Marittima. Pass Massa and eventually take the Strada Provinciale Pavone to your destination. From Rome, drive towards Grosseto first.