Moses Fountain Rome
Opening hours and admission
The fountain can be seen from outside.
History and description
The Fontana del Mosé was designed in 1587 by the brothers Domenico and Giovanni Fontana and was meant to be the showpiece of the Acqua Felice Aqueduct.
As the rather large inscription above the niches shows, the aqueduct and fountain were commissioned by Pope Sixtus, whose real name was Felice.
It consists of three niches created by the placement of four Ionic columns. The columns are embellished with 4 Egyption lions, two of which were constructed of white marble while the other two were made of a darker variety.
The middle niche contains the statue of Moses himself, which was however placed there at a later date. Statues of Aronne and of Gideon adorn the outer ones.
Next to the Moses Fountain, Pope Sixtus had 2 laundry washing basins placed, as well as a covered wash-house for women.
Address and public transport
The address of the Fontana di Mosé is Piazza San Bernardo, Rome. Metro: Repubblica (line A).