There are four museums in Orvieto, all housed in historic buildings in the Piazza del Duomo. Most of the collections are devoted to the city’s Etruscan history. The Museo dell’Opera del Duomo also highlights the history of the Cathedral, while the Museo Emilio Greco displays works by a famous contemporary artist.
National Archaeological Museum
The National Archaeological Museum is housed in the Palazzo Papale. Originally, part of the collection was displayed in the Museo dell’Opera del Duomo. The collection is arranged according to its place of origin. The most important sites were the Etruscan necropolises Crocefisso del Tufo, Cannicella and Settecamini.
Claudio Faina Museum
The Claudio Faina Municipal Museum is housed in the Palazzo Faina. This museum also focuses mainly on Orvieto’s Etruscan past. Mario and Eugenio Faina started the collection in 1864 and continued to expand it through excavations and objects purchased at antique markets. In 1954, Claudio Faina donated his possessions, including the collection. to the city.
Museo dell’Opera del Duomo
The Museo dell’Opera del Duomo is spread over two palaces in Piazza del Duomo. The first is the Palazzo dell’Opera del Duomo, which houses drawings, projects and other documents highlighting the construction of the cathedral. One can also admire paintings from the 13th and 14th centuries here. The second section, in Palazzo Soliano, mainly highlights painting from the Renaissance to the 19th century.
Emilio Greco Museum
The Emilio Greco Museum is located on the first floor of Palazzo Soliano. Emilio Greco (1913-1995) was one of the best-known contemporary Italian sculptors, responsible for, among other things, the bronze doors of the cathedral. The museum features about 100 works by the artist, donated to the city by himself.