The National Archaeological Museum of Florence (Museo Archeologico Nazionale) is one of the museums that show that not all sights in the Tuscan capital originate from the Renaissance period. The collection includes Roman and Etruscan as well as ancient Egyptian objects and works of art. The seat is the 17th century Palazzo della Crocetta.
National Archaeological Museum Florence
Address, opening hours and entrance fee
The address of the museum is Via della Colonna, 38 – Florence. However, the visitor entrance is at Piazza Santissima Annunziata, 9b (Bus: 6, 31). Telephone: +39 05523575. Opening Hours: Tuesday to Sunday: 8.15 am to 6.50 pm. Closed on Mondays. Admission: 4 Euro.
History and description
The museum is housed in a historic building known as the Palazzo della Crocetta. It was built between 1619 and 1621 by Giulio Parigi by merging a number of already existing palaces. This was commissioned by Cosimo II, who wanted to house his seriously ill sister Maria Maddalena de Medici.
The National Archaeological Museum of Florence has a rather eclectic collection, with Roman objects and a collection Etruscan of bucchero (a black-colored, invented by the Etruscans themselves, kind of pottery made by the Etruscans).
In the Egyptian part of the museum you can admire sarcophagi and hieroglyphs.
A bronze statue known as the Chimera di Arezzo from the 4th century B.C. A Chimera is a mythological animal with the torso and head of a lion, a goat’s head on its back, and a snake for a tail.
The Idolino is bronze statue of a naked boy, probably once used as a lamp holder, probably from the time of August.
A bronze statue of the Etruscan Orator Aule Metele from the 1st century BC. The statue was found near Perugia. Although the man is Etruscan, he wears a Roman toga.
Museo Nazionale Etrusco – Via della Colonna 38, Florence