The Santi Nazaro and Celso Church is located in the heart of the Veronetta district (or “little Verona“), one of the oldest districts of the city, with a multitude of old historic gardens, temples and other buildings. The church was built in the 15th century.
Santi Nazaro and Celso Church Verona
Opening hours: Open during the day. Closed: Never closed. Entrance fee: Free of charge. Telephone: +39 0458002030. Address: Largo san Nazaro, 1 – 37129 Verona. public transport: Bus: 91.
History and description
The Santi Nazaro and Celso Church was built between 1464 and 1483 on the site of both a Benedictine monastery and a church in a cave excavated in Monte Scaglione. This church was dedicated to Saints Nazaro, Celso and Giuliana.
The monumental entrance gate to the church was designed in the 17th century by the architect Antonio Saletti, who had been influenced by classical examples, as can be seen from the Ionic columns with sculpted curtains and a tympanum.
The most striking aspect of the austere façade is the rose window, together with the fresco “Madonna with the saints Nazaro and Celso”, which was painted by Paolo Ligozzi.
The 16th century bell tower is influenced by the Venetian campanili.
The interior has three naves with three apses, with columns supporting the vaults. On each side there are 5 chapels, with paintings by the greatest 16th and 17th century Veronese masters.
In the sacristy in the right transept are a number of 15th century wardrobes painted by local artists.
San Biagio Chapel
The left transept contains the Chapel of San Biagio, where the remains of the saint, donated by a German crusader in 1174 to the monastery, are preserved. The chapel itself was built between 1488 and 1528.
Next to the church itself stands the Sacellum (a kind of shrine) of the Saints Nazaro and Celso. Three caves have been carved into the tuff stone, where frescoes from about the year 1000 can be seen. These used to be covered with 12th century frescoes, but these have now been moved to the Cavalcaselle Museum near the Tomb of Juliet.