The Obelisco Agonale can be found right in the middle of the Piazza Navona in Rome. It is located on top of the Fountain of the Four Rivers (Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi), which was constructed by Bernini in 1651.
Obelisco Agonale Rome
History and description
The four statues surrounding the Obelisco Agonale represent the four big rivers known at the time (the Nile, the Ganges, the Danube and the Rio de la Plata) and were each made by a different sculptor.
The Obelico Agonale initially stood on the Circus of Maxentius along the Via Appia.
The dove on top of the obelisk is there since it is the symbol of the Pamphili family.
The obelisk itself is rather short (16m), but thanks to the basis and the dove the height of the entire structure reaches more than 30m.