The Ognissanti Church in Florence was built in the 13th century. The full name of the church is San Salvatore di Ognissanti. Its greatest attraction is the fresco cycle by Domenico Ghirlandaio in the refectory of the associated monastery. The famous artist Botticelli is buried in the church itself.
Ognissanti Church Florence
Address, opening hours and entrance fee
Address: Borgo Ognissanti, 42, 50123 Firenze. Tel. 055 294883. Opening hours: Monday and Saturday, from 09:00 to 13:00. Closed: January 1st, May 1st, August 15th, December 25th. Entrance: Free.
History and description
The Ognissanti Church in Florence was built in 1256 by the so-called Umiliati. This was a Benedictine sect that engaged in wool weaving and made the district where the church stands a textile center.
In the 17th century the church was renovated by the Franciscans.
The facade is the oldest Baroque facade in Florence. It was designed by Matteo Nigetti in 1627, although the current travertine marble version dates from 1872.
Artworks Ognissanti Church Florence
Near the second altar on the right is the Madonna della Misericordia (1470), painted by Domenico Ghirlandaio. It depicts a number of descendants of the Vespucci family, including Simonetta (who probably later served as the model for Botticelli’s “Birth of Venus”) and the explorer Amerigo, who would later give his name to a newly discovered continent.
By Botticelli himself, the fresco “Saint Augustine in his Study” (1480) is on display.
“Saint Jerome in His Study” is by Ghirlandaio.
Sandro Felipepi, better known as Botticelli, is buried in the second chapel in the rectory.
The entrance to the monastery is located to the left of the church itself, at Borgo Ognissanti, 42. Here one can admire a “Last Supper” (1480) by Domenico Ghirlandaio.