The Oratorio del Crocifisso (or Oratorio del Santissimo Crocifisso) is a small church in the Trevi district of Rome. It was built by Giacomo della Porta and features paintings by Pomarancio and others.
Oratorio del Crocifisso Church Rome
Address, hours, tickets
The address of the Oratorio del Crocifisso is Piazza dell’Oratorio, 70 – Rome (tel. +39 066797017). Bus: 51, 62, 63, 81, 83, 85, 116, 117, 160, 492, 628, N4, N5, N6, N12, N25. Opening hours: From 07:00 to 12:00 and from 16:30 to 19:00. Entrance fee: Free of charge.
History and description
The Oratorio del Crocifisso was built in 1559 by the “Brotherhood of the Crucifix” (Confraternita del Crocifisso). This fraternity had been founded in 1520 to venerate the crucifix rescued a year earlier from the burned down San Marcello Church.
The architect of the complex including the oratory was Giacomo della Porta.
The church was restored in 1801 and in 1878.
The facade consists of two levels of three sections divided by pillars. On either side of the entrance gate are two empty niches. The plaque on the upper level was placed there in honor of Cardinal Farnese who had paid for much of the construction.
The interior consists of a single nave.
Works of art Oratorio del Crocifisso Church Rome
The frescoes in the church depict the “History of the Cross” and were painted in the 16th and 17th centuries by various artists (including Pomarancio).