The Palazzina di Caccia di Stupinigi is a palace originally intended as a hunting lodge a short distance from Turin. It is on the UNESCO World Heritage List. It was designed by the architect Filippo Juvarra, who was responsible for many buildings erected in the city in the 18th century.
Palazzina di Caccia di Stupinigi Turin
Address: Piazza Principe Amedeo, 7 – Nichelino (TO). Phone: +39 011 0133073. Opening times: 15 March to 31 October from 10.00 to 17.30 (on Saturday and Sunday until 18.30). Last entry is one hour before closing time. Closed: Monday. Entrance fee: 12 Euro (8 Euro for children between 6 and 18, free for children under 6).. Public transportation: From Porta Nuova Station: Tram 4 to the last stop, then bus 41 (direction Orbassano) to the stop Stupinigi.
History and description
The Palazzina di Caccia di Stupinigi was commissioned by Vittorio Amedeo II and built by the architect Filippo Juvarra.
Since it was intended as a base for hunting, it is located outside the city itself: Stupinigi is a frazione of Nichilino, a town about 10 kilometers outside of Turin.
The palace, built in 1729, is characterized by a large central hall, from which four wings extend diagonally.
After Juvarra’s death, Benedetto Alfieri took over the work. He was responsible for raising the ceiling of the hall.
He also took charge of the construction of the two side wings.
The deer statue on top of the dome is a copy. The original, made in 1766 by Francesco Ladatte, is now placed in the entrance of the palace.
Nowadays the Palazzina is owned by the Order of St. Mauritius and St. Lazarus and houses the Museo d’Arte e Ammobiliamento. The order has owned the land on which the palace was built since 1573.
The main hall itself is elliptical in shape. The decorations all refer to hunting, with multiple references to the Goddess Diana.
In total there are 137 rooms connected by 17 corridors.
The palace is connected to the Turin by a straight road lined by peasant houses. Although this road was not constructed until 1754, it was already present in the plans of Juvarra, who died in 1736, and is an integral part of the Palazzina, running through the garden behind the building.