The Palazzo Benso di Cavour is a historic building in Turin. Although the famous statesman Camillo Conte di Cavour also used to live there, the building is named after Count Michele Antonio Benso di Cavour. It was built in 1729 and the architect was Giacomo Plantery.
Palazzo Benso di Cavour Turin
Address: Via Cavour, 8 – 10123 Torino. Phone: +39 011 19214730. Opening times and entrance fee: The building is not open to tourists.
History and description
The palazzo is built around two courtyards, one called the cortile d’onore and one where the stables used to be. This second one has the entrance on Via Lagrange.
The staircase is decorated with a vault painted in the 19th century.
The so-called piano nobile has two large rooms, of which the one on the street side is the largest. Here the ceiling is decorated with early 19th century stucco.
The rooms located at the corner of Via Cavour and Via Lagrange are graced by decorations designed by Benedetto Alfieri in the years 1757 and 1758, with carved and gilded woodwork.
During a renovation in 1754, a new wing on the Via Cavour side was added. The architect for this was Giuseppe Bovis.