The Palazzo Bernardo di Canal is a historic building in the San Polo district of Venice. At present it is partly privately owned and partly the seat of the university. It is also known as Palazzo Bernardo di San Polo.
Palazzo Bernardo di Canal Venice
Address, opening times and entrance fee
The address of Palazzo Bernardo di Canal is San Polo 1977, 1978 – Venice. Vaporetto: 1, 3. 4.1, 5.1. Opening hours and entrance fee: The building is not open to tourists.
History and description
The exact year of construction of the Palazzo Bernardo di Canal is not known. However, it has been possible to deduce from documents that guests were already staying there before 1442.
The first owners were the Giustinian, followed by the Piatti, who sold it to the Bellotto in 1651. In 1694 it came into the hands of the Bernardo family. The building was owned by the family for whom it is named until 1868. The current owners are the counts Avogadro degli Azzoni.
The façade is particularly notable for the two loggias, each with six arches, though not placed exactly one above the other.
The courtyard still has the original stairs, with small statues on the banister.
During a restoration at the end of the 20th century, some remnants of frescoes on the facade were discovered.