The Palazzo Birago di Borgaro in Turin was one of the first buildings designed by Spanish architect Filippo Juvarra for a member of the Piedmontese nobility. It is the current seat of the city’s Chamber of Commerce.
Palazzo Birago di Borgaro Turin
Address: Via Carlo Alberto, 16 – Torino. Phone: +39 011 5716405. Opening times: Unknown. Entrance fee: Unknown. Public transport: Bus lines 18, 61, 68, star 1, star 2; metro (Porta Nuova).
History and description
Juvarra began construction in 1716. The cortile d’onore (“honorary courtyard”) is characterized by a curvilinear background, along which horses and carriages could turn.
The façade is dominated by pillars and by two balustrades decorated with statues. In all probability the statues originally stood in the gardens of the Venaria Reale castle and were given as a gift to the Count of Borgaro in the 17th century.
Today the building, restored in 1989, is owned by the Camera di Commercio (“Chamber of Commerce”) of Torino.