The Palazzo Blumenstihl is a historic building in the Prati district of Rome. Part of the building serves as the seat of the Polish Institute. The Embassy of Lithuania, which also used to occupy part of the building, has since moved to the Via Vittorio Colonna. On the first floor is the Gran Caffè Ruschena.
Palazzo Blumenstihl Rome
Address, opening times, tickets
Address: Lungotevere Mellini, 1 – Rome. The building is accessible to tourists only during special events.
History and description
The Palazzo Blumenstihl was built by the architect Luca Carimini. The Teatro Alhambra, which was best known for its opera performances, was previously located on this site. This theater had been built in 1880. Constructed entirely of wood, it was completely destroyed in a fire in 1902.
The Palazzo Blumenstihl is located along the river Tiber near the Ponte Cavour. The main facade overlooks the river. The building is characterized by the belvedere with three windows crowned by a classical tympanum. On the first floor is a portico surmounted by the balcony of the belvedere. Each floor has different types of windows. On the side, the cast iron gate decorated with floral motifs is particularly striking.
Antico Café Ruschena
In 1924, the Gran Caffè Esperia opened on the first floor of the building. In 1939, it was sold on to the Ruschena family, who renamed it Gran Caffè Ruschena. This café, which counted such famous characters as Fellini, Marcello Mastroianni and Alberto Sordi among its customers, still exists today.