Palazzo Cisterna Rome
The address of the Palazzo Cisterna is Via Giulia, 163 – Rome. Phone: +39 06 64790465.
History and description
When Giacomo della Porta was commissioned to ornament the Palazzo Farnese, located not far from the Palazzo Cisterna, he immediately began buying up a number of buildings on the Via Giulia, which had only just been constructed at the time.
The Palazzo Cisterna was commissioned by Della Porta towards the middle of the 16th century. In fact, at the time he himself lived in another palace on the Via Giulia, the current Palazzo Muccioli (n. 167), which would later be merged with the Palazzo Cisterna.
From the 17th, to the beginning of the 20th century, Spanish Missionaries had their offices in the Palazzo, after which it passed into the hands of the Cisterna family and received its current name. In the 2nd half of the 20th century, it was partially acquired by the Ducci family.
Between 1832 and 1846, a floor was added to the originally four floor palace. This was commissioned by the then owner Giovan Battista Marcucci.
Beneath the palace remains of ancient buildings from the 1st and 2nd centuries have been found.