The Palazzo Como is a 15th century historical building in the Via Duomo in Naples. It has been the seat of the Museo Civico Gaetano Filangieri since 1888. The collection of this private museum is quite eclectic and contains paintings and sculptures as well as weapons, clothing, pieces of antique furniture and coins.
Palazzo Como & Gaetano Filangieri Museum Naples
Address: Via Duomo, 288 – Napoli. Phone: +39 081 203175. Opening times: From 10:00 till 16:30 (till 17:30 on Saturdays and Sundays). Ticket price: 5 Euros on Saturdays, 3 Euros the rest of the week.
The Palazzo Como was constructed in the 2nd half of the 15th century. It is named after the first proprietor, Angelo Como, who was originally from Florence. Some of the architectural elements (the rustic stones used and the use of cross-windows) are reminiscent of the Florentine architecture of those days.
In the early 17th century the buidling was converted into a convent.
In 1879, when the Via Duomo was constructed, the palazzo was destroyed and rebuilt in its present spot.
Museo Civico Gaetano Filangieri
The Museo Civico Gaetano Filangieri was founded in 1888. Filangieri (1753-1788) was an aristocrat who abandoned a military career to study law. He wrote the “Science of Legislation”, in which he denounced abuses of his time. One of his noted admirers was Benjamin Franklin, with whom he also corresponded.
The museum named after him is dedicated to sculpture, painting, applied arts and the preservation of ancient books.
Unfortunately a big part of the collection was damaged or even destroyed in a fire caused by the Germans in 1943.
The rooms on the ground and the first floor still retain much of the original furniture and decorations. The main ones are called the “Filangieri Room” and the “Agata Room”.
There are almost 400 porcelain objects from all over Europe. Other sections are dedicated to weaponry, clothes and coins.
The floor is decorated with the coats of arms and initials of the Filangieri family. It was laid in 1882.
Works of art include a bust of Ferdinand IV of Bourbon by Antonio Canova, and a “Santa Prassede” by the painter Bernardino Luini. Other paintings of note are a “Head of John the Baptist” and a “Santa Maria Egiziaca” by Spagnoletto.