The Town Hall (Palazzo Comunale) of Montefiascone is housed in a historical building known as Palazzo Renzi Doria. The oldest part of the building was constructed in the late 15th century. Decorations include frescoes and Roman and medieval inscriptions.
Palazzo Comunale Montefiascone
Address: Largo del Plebiscito, 1 – 01027 Montefiascone. Phone: +39 0761.83201. The palace is not open to tourists.
History and description
In the course of its history, the Palazzo Comunale of Montefiascone has experienced multiple renovations and reconstructions by different architects.
The oldest part of the building is the base of the bell tower. Documents evidence that the people that were to work on its construction were hired in 1488.
Most of the subsequent enlargements and renovations took place in the 17th century. Inscriptions on the lintel of one of the doors of the Sala Consiliare and above the inside of the entrance door testify to the work having been done.
In 1873, Prince Adrea Doria Pamphilj, who owned multiple properties in the city, allowed the citizens to rename the building Palazzo Doria. When the adjacent building was incorporated in the structure, the name Renzi was added.
What to see
The relief above the entrance door in the atrium portrays the city’s patron saint, San Flaviano.
The Sala Consiliare has a coffered ceiling and some remains of frescoes.
The crucifix on the back wall of the main hall dates back to the 17th century.
The mayor’s office is decorated with a “Madonna and Child”.
Another, frescoed, “Madonna and Child” can be seen in a small room facing the Sant’Andrea Church. The Montefiascone coat of arms below is dated 1600.
Other decorations include two Roman inscriptions and a medieval epigraph sculpted in an architectural element of Roman origin.
The smaller one of the two bells of the campanile was probably originally meant for the Sant’Andrea Church. The rather dilapidated bigger one might have been taken from a campanile in Ferento, an ancient city destroyed by Viterbo in 1172.