The Palazzo degli Anziani (“Palace of the Elders”) is a historic building in Ancona and the present town hall of the city. It dates back to the 13th century. The spacious halls of the palace first housed the Pinacoteca Civile and then the Faculty of Economics and Commerce.
Palazzo degli Anziani Ancona
The Palazzo degli Anziani is located in the Piazza Benvenuto Stracca and is directly opposite the Chiesa del Gesù.
History and Description
The Palazzo degli Anziani (“Palace of the Elders”) was built in 1258 and was renovated as early as 1270, by Margeritone d’Arezzo. It has served as the seat of the city’s civil registry since time immemorial.
After being set on fire by the Saracen pirates, it was partially restored in the second half of the 16th century. In 1647 a complete reconstruction took place, although some original elements remain. Examples are the arched windows and the arches themselves on the port side, the loggias and the panels on the Piazza Stracca side.
The windows of the upper floor date from the 15th, and the baroque façade from the 16th century. On this façade you can still see some fragments of the 13th century pointed windows, which were decorated with bas-reliefs.
The spacious halls of the palace housed first the Pinacoteca Civile and then the Faculty of Economics and Commerce.