The Palazzo dei Canonici is the rectory of the Santa Maria del Fiore Cathedral in Florence. It is located on the south side of Piazza del Duomo. The facade of the palace is characterized by two statues representing the architects of the Duomo.
Palazzo dei Canonici Florence
Address, opening hours and admission
Address: Piazza del Duomo. Opening hours and admission: The palace is not open for visitors.
History and description
The Palazzo dei Canonici (also known as the Canonica del Duomo) was built at the beginning of the 19th century. In that period the area south of Piazza del Duomo was redesigned to enlarge the square.
The architect was Gaetano Baccani. Between 1826 and 1839 he had a number of antique buildings demolished and replaced by three larger palaces. These palaces together formed the presbytery where the clergymen associated with the cathedral lived.
The central building (next to the Piazzetta del Capitolo) has a balcony. This is supported by four columns that frame two alcoves. The statues in the alcoves represent the architects who designed the cathedral, Arnolfo di Cambio and Filippo Brunelleschi. These statues were made in 1830 by Luigi Pampaloni.
Baccani was also responsible for the renovation of the Palace and the Oratory of Mercy (Oratorio della Misericordia) on the corner of the Via de’ Calzaioli.