The Palazzo dei Filippini is located in the Parione district of central Rome. It is actually a large complex consisting of the convent and the Oratorio dei Filippini and was built by the famous architect Borromini.
Palazzo dei Filippini Rome
Address, opening times, tickets
The address is Piazza della Chiesa Nuova, 18 – Rome. Bus: 40, 46, 62, 64, 190F, 916, 916F, N5, N15, N20.
History and description
The Palazzo dei Filippini (by the way, the name has nothing to do with the Philippines, but refers to San Filippo Neri) is a huge complex that occupies an entire block of houses and is bordereded by the Piazza della Chiesa Nuova, the Via dei Filippini, the Piazza dell’Orologio, the Via del Governo Vecchio and the Via della Chiesa Nuova.
The convent has three facades, each of which has four floors. There are hardly any decorations. The monotony is interrupted by the Torre dell’Orologio. The mechanism of the clock for which the tower is named, is kept in the Museo di Roma. It was made in 1649.
Characterized by its Baroque architecture, the Oratory is much less simple in design. The facade is inspired by the human body, with two wide-open arms embracing the faithful, so to speak. It consists of two parts separated by a wide cornice.
The central part of the lower tier is convex, while that of the upper tier is concave. the upper tier had a window with a balcony surmounted by an arch with the dove representing the Holy Spirit in the center.
The interior of the Oratory is known as the Sala Borromini, while the upper floor is taken up by the Biblioteca Vallicelliana.