The Palazzo dei Priori of Arezzo is a historical building the Piazza della Libertà, on a hill in the center of the city. It is also known as Palazzo Comunale. It was built in the 14th century and is the seat of the city’s town hall.
Palazzo dei Priori Arezzo
Address, opening times and admission
The address is Palazzo Comunale, Piazza Libertà 1, 52100 Arezzo (AR). It is open Monday to Saturday from 10:00 to 16:00. Admission: 7 Euros. The Sala dei Matrimoni and the Sala del Consiglio must be reserved in advance.
History and description
The Palazzo dei Priori was built in the first half of the 14th century. From its construction it housed important institutions of the city and today it is the seat of the Town Hall of Arezzo.
Of the original building, except on the Via Ricasoli side, not much remains. Both the facade and the square tower have been restored several times. The last restoration, in 1930, was the most extensive, both on the outside and inside.
What to see
- The courtyard dates back to the 17th century and is characterized by a portico with two loggias above it.
- The fresco “Madonna and Child and San Donato” (1640) was created by Salvi Castellucci.
- Throughout the building there are busts of important figures in Arezzo’s history.
- The statue of the “Madonna and Child” (1339) was originally placed near the Porta Santo Spirito, which has since been demolished.
- On the belvedere floor one can admire the “Madonna on the Throne with Child and Saints” by Lorentino d’Arezzo.
- The staircase is graced by Angelo di Lorentino’s “San Francesco with Stigmas.”
- The fireplace in the Sala dei Matrimoni (“Marriage Room”) dates back to the 16th century.
- This room also houses two paintings by Vasari, plus a number of frescoes by Teofilo Torri from 1610, showing important events in Arezzo’s history.
- Parri di Spinello was responsible for the 15th century fresco “Crucifixion” in the Council Chamber.
- A portrait of Pietro Aretino is also on display in this Sala del Consiglio.
- The “Crucifix” and “The Image of San Donato,” also in this room, were painted by Alessandro Forzori.
- The bell in the tower was only added in 1468 and was removed here from the Pieve di Santa Maria.