The Palazzo dei Priori in Perugia is located on the city’s main street, the wide Corso Vannucci. It is the current town hall of the city. The main attraction of the palace is the Sala dei Notari, decorated with frescoes.
Palazzo dei Priori Perugia
Address, opening hours and entrance fee
The official address is Corso Vannucci, 19 – 06122 Perugia. Several bus lines stop at the nearby Piazza Italia. Opening hours and entrance fee: Unknown.
The façade on the north side is the result of two different construction periods. The left side, built between 1293 and 1297, is characterized by an imposing Gothic entrance leading to the Sala dei Notari.
The right side has a portico with three arches and was added to the original building around 1335. The San Severi di Piazza Church used to occupy this spot.
After the unification of Italy in 1861, the interior was restored to its original state, which had been greatly modified during the ecclesiastical rule.
The fan-shaped staircase dates back to 1902 and replaces an earlier medieval version.
Above the entrance there are bronze copies of the griffin of Perugia and the Lion of the Guelphs. The originals, which used to adorn the fountain created by Arnolfo di Cambio, are now inside the palace.
The chains hanging from the immense ledges were looted by the Perugini from the gates of Siena, after the battle of Torrita in 1358.
The third floor of the building is currently used as the seat of the Galleria Nazionale dell’Umbria.
Sala dei Notari Perugia
The Sala dei Notari is the most striking room in the Palazzo dei Priori. It is a magnificent hall supported by 8 large arches and was originally used for popular meetings.
In 1582 the hall became the seat of the “Guild of Notaries” (Arte dei Notai), a very influential group in Perugia in those days.
Not much remains of the original 13th and 14th century frescoes. They have either been painted over or incorporated into newer frescoes depicting Bible stories, legends and coats of arms of the Capitano del Popolo and the Podestà, among others. These were painted in 1885 by Matteo Tassi.
On the back wall one sees the coat of arms of Braccio Fortebracci, while along the side walls are 16th century seats.
Sala della Vaccara
The stairs to the right of the entrance to the Sala dei Notari lead to the Sala della Vaccara, which features a 1568 fresco painted by Tiberio di Assisi.
Sala dei Catasti
The Sala dei Catasti is also home to paintings. One of the most famous ones was painted by Pinturicchio and depicts “The Madonna and Child with Angels”.