Palazzo del Commendatore Rome

The Palazzo del Commendatore is a historic building in the Borgo district of Rome. It is here that the offices of the Santo Spirito del Saxia Hospital are located. It is also known by the name Palazzo del Cirillo.

Palazzo del Commendatore Rome

Address and opening hours

Address: Borgo di Santo Spirito, 3 – Rome. The building is not open to tourists.

History and description

The palace was built between 1567 and 1571 by Nanni di Baccio Bigi on the ruins of an earlier structure destroyed in the 14th century during the Sack of Rome.

It was also called Palazzo del Cirillo, after the Commendatore of the time, whose name was Bernardino Cirillo and who, with the permission of Pope Pius V, had ordered its construction.

The palace that stood there before was called Palazzo Migliorati, and here the Volto Santo della Veronica could be seen until the end of the 15th century. This “Holy Face of Veronica” was a cloth with which a certain Veronica had wiped the sweaty face of Jesus during the Via Crucis and which was taken once a year in a procession from St. Peter’s to the Santo Spirito in Saxia Hospital.

At the moment, the hospital’s offices are housed in the Palazzo del Commendatore.

Courtyard

The main attraction of the building is the courtyard, which is surrounded by a portico with a loggia. Here, since 1827, there has been a Baroque clock in the shape of a cardinal’s hat, divided into six hours in Roman fashion. A lizard acts as the pointer and a snake biting its tail forms its outer edge.

Palazzo del Commendatore, Rome