The Palazzo del Governo is a historic building in Ancona. It is one of three buildings that have served as the city’s town hall over the centuries. It was built in the 15th century. After the Second World War it had to be restored.
Palazzo del Governo Ancona
The Palazzo del Governo is located at the Piazza del Plebiscito of Ancona.
History and description
During the time that Ancona was an independent city, it twice expanded the city walls twice and also twice build a new city hall. This is why, in the course of its existence, the city has known three different town halls and three central squares.
The Palazzo del Governo is located in the Piazza del Plebiscito and was built in the 14th century.
In 1447, Montenegrino added a wing (on the port side) and in 1484 Pietro Amoroso and Francesco di Giorgio Martini were responsible for a further addition.
The courtyard with the portico also dates from the 15th century, while the bell tower is a reconstruction of a 14th century structure carried out in 1581.
In 1690 the building was badly damaged by an earthquake and in World War II it was bombed. Both times rapid restorations followed.