The Palazzo del Podestà takes up part of the west side of the Piazza Aurelio Saffi in Forlì.
Palazzo del Podestà Forlì
Address: Piazza Aurelio Saffi, 53. Opening times: At the moment the palace is private property, and can thus only be seen on the outside.
History and description
The Palazzo del Podestà was constructed in the second half of the 15th century. It was built by the uncle of Melozzo degli Embrogi. The latter is better known under the name Melozzo da Forlì and was one of the most famous painters and architects of the era.
The palace was constructed on top of the ruins of an earlier building.
The building was restored in the first half of the 20th century. During this restoration, a balcony was added to the piano nobile. This balcony was placed in the same spot where there used to be a cage, in which condemned prisoners were displayed to the population. This cage had been added in 1426.
The architectural style is Gothic. This is evidenced by the lancet windows of the upper floors and by the pointed arches of the ground floor portico. The capitals are decorated with the coat of arms of the Ordelaffi family.