The Palazzo del Senato is one of the most famous medieval palaces in Ancona. It was the first town hall of the city and stands in the square of the same name.
Palazzo del Senato Ancona
Address: Piazza del Senato, 15 – Ancona. The building can only be seen from outside and is not open to tourists.
History and description
The Palazzo del Senato is also known as the Palazzo dei Pilastri (“Palace of the Pillars”). It was built in the 13th century on the site of the former Roman Forum of Ancona.
It is the first of three buildings that have served as Ancona’s town hall over the centuries.
It is characterized by a brick façade with two rows of biforas decorated with small columns.
A restoration took place in the 15th century. A second restoration was necessary after bombings in World War II destroyed almost the entire building except for the façade.
The building had been restored by 1952 and today it is the seat of the Soprintendenza ai Beni architettonici e ambientali delle Marche.
The present town hall is the Palazzo del Governo.