The Palazzo della Pilotta is a monumental complex on the Strada Garibaldi in Parma. Originally meant to be an extension of the nearby Palazzo Ducale, it was constructed in the late 16th century. Nowadays it is the seat of the Archaeological Museum, the National Gallery, the Bodoni Museum, the Biblioteca Palatina and the Teatro Farnese.
Palazzo della Pilotta Parma
Address: Piazza della Pilotta, 3 – Parma. Phone: +39 0521 220400. Opening times: From 10.30 till 18.30. Closed: Mondays. Entrance fee: 12 Euros. Public transport: Bus: n. 1, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 19, 23.
History and description
Construction of the Palazzo della Pilotta began in 1583. the architect was Ottavio Farnese. The first part of the new building was a hallway that connected to a courtyard where the Spanish soldiers used to play pelota, a game still predominantly played in the Basque country, but also fairly popular in the north of Italy. Construction finished in 1622.
This first section was later united with other spaces housing the Farnese family book and art collections. The upper floors are reached by a monumental stairway, the architecture of which was inspired by the Escorial in Madrid.