The Palazzo delle Poste in Naples was constructed in the Italian Rationalist style which was in vogue during the Fascist period. It takes up the entire north side of the Piazza Giacomo Matteotti.
Palazzo delle Poste Naples
History and description
The full name of the building is Palazzo delle Poste e dei Telegrafi. It was designed by Giuseppe Vaccaro and Gino Granzi. Construction began in 1928 and was completed in 1936.
The Palazzo delle Poste was partially destroyed in 1943. During an uprising known as the Four Days of Naples, the local population had managed to drive the German occupiers out of the city. The enemy had however left time bombs in the building. Forty people were killed in the explosion. Numerous others were wounded.
What to see
The Renaissance loggia incorporated into the Via Battisti side of the building, was taken from the nearby Monteoliveto monastery.
The sculpture in the atrium is dedicated to the vistims of war. The sculptor was Arturo Martini.
Address: Piazza Giacomo Matteotti, 2 – 80133 Napoli.