The architecture of the Palazzo di Città of Salerno clearly indicated that the building was constructed during the period Mussolini‘s fascist regime was in power. Partly because of a lack of money, the initial project was later adapted to a less elaborate one. In 1944, when Salerno briefly became the capital of the Kingdom, the Salone dei Marmi hosted the first meeting of the Council of Ministers.
Palazzo di Città Salerno (Town Hall)
History and description
In 1931, by the time the actual construction of the Palazzo di Città began, the project had already been adapted numerous times by various architects and engineers working on it.
When the head engineer, Camillo Guerra, started the job, the idea was to build a 5,000 square meter, four floors tall building. The ground floor was meant to be occupied by shops and by the grandiose Cinema Teatro Augusteo.
In 1934, realizing that money was going to be a problem, and also having meanwhile acquired a more modern architectural taste, Guerra submitted a new project.
The final work, in the end consisting of only three levels, was completed in 1936.
What to see
The main hall of the building is the Salone dei Marmi. The walls of this room are decorated with polychrome slabs of marble. The frieze decorating the top part of the walls, painted by Pasquale Avallone, depicts events from the history of the city itself. Avallone (1884-1965) was a local artist, who worked mainly in and around Salerno itself. It took him from 1936 till 1947 to finish the “Big Frieze”.
The nearby Sala del Gonfalone is decorated with four paintings by Avallone, depicting “Agriculture”, “Industry”, “Savings” and “Sea Trade”.
The Sala della Giunta is a smaller room.
The main corridor is graced by several bronze statues by Gaetano Chiaromonte (1872-1962). He made the statues, which initially were placed outside the building, in 1937. Chiaramonte was born in Salerno and made most of his art in his birthplace and in Naples, where he died.
Address: Via Roma, 1 – Salerno. Phone: +39 089 662291. Opening times: The building can only be visited during special occasions.