The Palazzo di Giustizia is an enormous palace that occupies an entire side of the Piazza Cavour in Rome. The other facade, facing the Tiber River, is equally impressive. The palace dates from the late 19th century.
Palazzo di Giustizia Rome
Address, times, tickets
The address of the Palazzo di Giustizia is Piazza Cavour, snc. – Rome. District: Prati. However, most tourists will know the facade opposite the Ponte Umberto I better. Times and price: The building can only be visited from the outside and is not open to the public.
History Palazzo di Giustizia Rome
The Palazzo di Giustizia is one of the most imposing modern buildings in Rome. Construction began in 1888, under the direction of architect Guglielmo Calderini.
The palace was completed in 1910. Calderini had long been fired by then.
The Palazzo di Giustizia was considered a symbol of a new order. Built shortly after Italian unification, it was a kind of condemnation of the injustices under the papal state.
In 1970, the palace had to be evacuated because it was on the verge of collapse. It has now been restored and is the seat of the Court of Cassation.
The palace is rectangular in shape, made of reinforced concrete, and clad entirely in white travertine marble. The Romans call the building Palazzaccio, which implies a somewhat negative judgment.
The façade on the river side is topped by a bronze quadriga created by Ettore Ximenes. The work depicts “Fame” and was palce there in 1926.
The statues preceding the entrance gates represent jurists from Roman times.
The coat of arms on the facade on the Piazza Cavour side is that of the House of Savoy. This was the royal house of Italy until just after the end of World War II.
Through a central entrance gate with triumphal arch one enters a courtyard. Above this gate is the sculpture group “Justice between Law and Force” by Enrico Quattrini. The courtyard is also graced by statues depicting jurists. A central sculpture personifies “The Law.”
The frescoes in the Sala d’Onore (“Hall of Honor”) were painted by Cesare Maccari and his pupils. The paintings all have the history of justice as their theme.
An ancient doll
In 1989, when the foundation was laid, two sarcophagi were found. They were from the 2nd half of the 2nd century. One of them contained the remains of an 18-year-old woman named Crepereia Tryphaena. Inside her tomb was a perfectly preserved ivory doll, with ingeniously assembled moving parts.
The sarcophagi were first exhibited in the Palazzo dei Conservatori, but are now on display in the Centrale Montemartini.