The Palazzo Fabroni is a historical building opposite the Pieve di Sant’Andrea in Pistoia. The oldest part of the building, which today serves as the headquarters of the Center for Contemporary Art, dates back to the 14th century. Originally, the palazzo was a so-called “tower house”.
Palazzo Fabroni Pistoia
The address of the Palazzo Fabroni is Via di S. Andrea, 18 – 51100 – Pistoia (tel. +39 0573371817). Opening hours: Thursday to Sunday, plus public holidays: From 10:00 to 18:00. Entrance fee: 3,50 Euro. Free: 65+ and 18-.
History and description
The Palazzo Fabroni was built towards the middle of the 14th century. At the time it was property of the Dondori family. It was still a tower house and had a garden that abutted the second city wall.
The Fabroni family already owned several properties in the area when they acquired the palace in the early 17th century. Between 1748 and 1769, Atto Fabroni had all these residences combined into one large structure, resulting in the Palazzo Fabroni as it exists today.
The palace is characterized by an arched façade.
Since 1861 the building has been owned by the municipality of Pistoia. After being used for various purposes, and therefore having often been reconstructed, from 1928 to 1945 it was the seat of the Federation of the Fascist Party.
After the war it was converted into a school building, before the 18th and 19th century modifications were undone by means of a lengthy restoration.
In the process, even antique parts of the old tower houses were found, some of which are still visible.
Contemporary Visual Arts Center
Since the beginning of the 90’s, the Palazzo Fabroni has been the seat of the Centro Arti Visive Contemporanee, which is engaged in organizing Contemporary Art exhibitions and also has a permanent collection.