The Palazzo Falletti di Barolo, despite having had to give up part of its spaces in the early 20th century, is one of the best examples of residences of the aristocracy in 17th and 18th century Turin.
Palazzo Falletti di Barolo Turin
Address: Via Corte d’Appello, 20/C – 10122 Torino. Phone: +39 338 1691652. Opening times: From 14.30 till 18.00 (19.00 on Saturdays and Sundays). Closed: Mondays. Ticket price: 5 Euros.
History and description
The history of the building begins in 1648, when it is owned by the Provana di Druent family.
The facade was designed by Francesco Baroncelli in 1692, as were the atrium and the striking staircase.
In 1743, by which time the palazzo had passed into the hands of the family from which it takes its name, Benedetto Alfieri began to decorate the interior and particularly the staircase and the apartments.
The decorations on the first floor date back to the end of the 17th century. They are the work of various artists, including Pietro Somasso (stucco), Francesco Trevisani (paintings) and Legnani (murals).
In 1906 part of the Palazzo Falletti di Barolo had to be torn down in order to complete the reconstruction of Via Corte d’Appello, which was widened and straightened.