The Palazzo Ferretti is a historic building in Ancona and also the seat of the city’s Archaeological Museum. It is named after the commissioner for its construction and designed by Pellegrino Tibaldi, who is ubiquitous in the city. Tibaldi got some help from Vanvitelli.
Palazzo Ferretti Ancona
The address of the Palazzo Ferretti is Via Ferretti – Ancona.
History and Description
The Palazzo Ferretti was designed by Pellegrino Tibaldi around the year 1560. Construction was commissioned by Angelo Ferretti, a captain in the army of Carlo IX. The entrance and balcony are the work of by Vanvitelli.
Originally, the palace had two side entrances.
On the second floor, two friezes stand out. The first is by Tibaldi and depicts scenes from Roman times, while the other was probably made by Federico Zuccari and has mythological events as its theme.
Zuccari was also responsible for multiple frescoes in some of the rooms on the top floor.
The building was restored in the 18th century. Since 1958 it has been the seat of the Museo Archeologico Nazionale delle Marche.
Attractions near Palazzo Ferretti
The Palazzo del Senato is located almost opposite the Palazzo Ferretti.