Palazzo della Fraternita dei Laici Arezzo
History and description
The Palazzo della Fraternita dei Laici is partly Gothic (built in 1375 by the Florentines Baldino di Cino and Niccolò di Francesco) and partly Renaissance. The upper part was designed by Rossellino in 1433.
Rossellino was also responsible for the sculptures.
The portal of the church dates back to 1377.
The “brotherhood of the laity” after which the palace is named was founded in 1262 by a group of Dominicans.
Spinello painted the “Pietà” (1395) in the lunette above the entrance.
IIn 1460, the balustrade and the loggia were the finishing touches to the façade.
The bell tower was not added until the 16th century. The clock indicates both the time and the phases of the moon and dates back to 1552.