The Palazzo Gaddi is a historic building in Rome’s Ponte district. Michelangelo once lived there briefly.
Palazzo Gaddi Rome
Address, opening hours and tickets
The address of the Palazzo Gaddi is Via del Banco di Santo Spirito, 42 – Rome. Rione: Ponte. The Palazzo Gaddi is not open to the public.
History and description
The history of the Palazzo Gaddi begins in 1528, when the Florence-born banker Luigi Taddeo Gaddi buys a modest cottage from the Strozzi family. The banker immediately has the small building knocked down to erect a large palace.
The architect of the new building, where none other than Michelangelo spent several years of his life, was Sansovino.
In the 17th century the building first came into the hands of the Bandini family, then it was bought by the Valdina Cremona and finally by the Niccolini.
The next owners, the Amici, had a slightly lower wing built against the left side of the palace in 1841.
Above the entrance to the Palazzo Gaddi is a large balcony, surmounted by an euqlly large cornice.
Another palace built by the Gaddi family is the Palazzo Cesi-Gaddi at the corner of the Via della Maschera d’Oro and the Via degli Acquasparta.