The Palazzo Sciarra is a historical building in the center of Rome. It is located next to the Palazzo Cipolla, seat of the Museo del Corso Fondazione Roma. The Galleria Sciarra is a pedestrian hallway between the Via Minghetti and the Piazza dell’Oratorio.
Palazzo and Galleria Sciarra Rome
The Galleria Sciarra is located inside the Palazzo Sciarra. The address is Via Marco Minghetti, 22 – 00187 Rome (tel. +39 06697645599). Bus: 51, 62, 63, 81, 83, 85, 117, 160, 492, 628, N12, N25, N4; N5, N6. The Galleria is open from 10:00 till 20:00.
History and description
The museum has its seat in the Palazzo Sciarra, which was built in the 16th century by the Sciarra family (a branch of the more famous Colonna family). Previously, the Colonna used to ownn two buildings here called “Little Palace” (Palazzetto) and “Imperfect” Palace (Palazzo Imperfetto).
These two buildings were joined together in 1610, by the architect Flaminio Ponzio.
The facade dates back to 1641 and was designed by Orazio Torrioni.
In the 18th century, the building was adapted to the style in vogue at the time by Cardinal Prospero Colonna and the architect Luigi Vanvitelli. The Library, the Gabinetto degli Specchi and the Galleria date from this period.
Towards the end of the 19th century Francesco Settimi had the surrounding buildings restored, the right wing of the building enlarged and the courtyard renovated.
Between 1871 and 1898 the palazzo was reduced in size. Prince Matteo Sciarra had Giulio de Angelis open the Via Minghetti. The Teatro Quirino and the Galleria Sciarra were also opened.
The Palazzo Sciarra Colonna di Carbognano, as it is officially called, has been owned by the bank Cassa di Risparmio di Roma since 1970.
The Galleria Sciarra was constructed between 1885 and 1888. Prince Maffeo Barberini-Colonna di Sciarra had commissioned the architect Giulio De Angelis to create a connection between some of his properties.
The frescoes adorning the walls of the hallway were painted by Giuseppe Cellini. The overall theme of the cycle is “The Glorification of Women”.
The roofs of the Galleria are made of iron and glass.