Palazzo Ghilini is located in the Piazza della Libertà and is one of the most striking historical buildings in Alessandria. A Royal Palace under the Savoy, it is now the seat of the provincial administration.
Palazzo Ghilini Alessandria
The address of Palazzo Ghilini is Piazza della Libertà, 21 – 15121 Alessandria. Phone: +39 0131 3041
History and description
Construction of the building started in 1732. The design was by Benedetto Alfieri and the commissioner was his uncle, the Marquis Tommaso Maria Ghilini.
The work took place in phases, beginning with the central section, which opens onto the square. The architect of this part was Domenico Caselli.
The northern part was completed in 1766, while the wing on the Via Parma side dates back to the 19th century, when the palace no longer belonged to the Ghilini.
After the Savoys had the building restored, it came into the hands of the State and subsequently became the Royal Palace.
The interior is characterized by a partition between the private rooms and those that were used for reception.
Since 1969, the palazzo has been the property of the Province of Alessandria and houses the Prefecture and the Provincial Administration.